Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Brief Update

Can't believe four months has already passed since I've moved up here. I love it up here and am happy to call this cozy little place home.

Summer is over...the little we had of it! Overall the weather has been cool with an excessive amount of rainfall. The yard kept me busy with the lawn and grass around yard needing to be mowed about every 5 days. The flowers thrived and the yard looked beautiful all summer. My garden did great and the produce was abundant. Mom came over for a couple weeks and canned the purple beans with her pressure canner (and also tended my flowers and washed the trailer windows...thanks, Mom!) I've been canning pickled carrots and making and freezing fries and hashbrowns. The herbs did well and I dried parsley, oregano, basil and chives which hopefully should last me through until next summer.

The well below the pumphouse collapsed not long after I moved into the trailer. Thankfully it wasn't the water source for our house and chickens but the water we use does travel there from the other well and then into the barn so it needed to get filled in to prevent any further possible damage. It was a big job and Dad was able to come over and help with part of it. Last week I finally finished insulating around the outside so the project is complete. My neighbour was able to come over and get the temp sensor set up for the well since it had snapped when the well collapsed. That was a big relief as now I don't have to worry about the well water for the barn and house freezing.

Sure is starting to feel like fall with high temps in the single digits (*C). The area here is so pretty with the leaves changing and beginning to fall.

Now we are heading into the last week of our second chicken cycle and things are going good so far. :) I'm really happy with how this cycle has gone and chickens are doing well. Tomorrow we are going to weigh chickens by hand again to see the adjustments we need to make in the computer for the scale. The scale wasn't working the last cycle so I ended up having to buy a new one from Mackay's in Saskatoon. We weighed them at two weeks and made the necessary adjustments so we'll find out if the percentage is still set right.

There is more to post about but this will have to do for now as I need to go check the chickens! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Summer is over...the little we had of it!"...hehe, you can say that again!

Our garden and yard has looked beautiful too, cool temps and rain help with that, but sadly the flip side is that we many many green tomatoes and they ripen so slowly.

How many chickens do you raise at once?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, our summer was short and sweet. Though it passed us by so quickly, we don't even want to hear about fall yet.... we could see our breath this morning in the moist air. Brr!
We still have a lot of garden produce coming on- slowly. It's been an odd year.
We had to mow our lawn often too!

Sounds like you are keeping really busy with work around there. I want to see more pics of the place! :)
Glad to hear the well is repaired.
And how sweet of your parents to come over and help with various things.
Are the chickens to sell or butcher or?

Lindsey said...

Jac, it depends from cycle to cycle. This time we have 28,000 birds in but next time we are only going to have about 2/3 that much.

I had to pick my tomatoes all off since we've been getting down to below freezing. Unfortunately they all rotted after a couple days. Guess it hasn't been a good year that way for tomatoes around here though due to the wet conditions.

Sam-the chickens are being raised for meat. We sell them to Lilydale who processes them.

I will be posting more pics soon! :)

I never did get around to posting my brother's wedding pics on here (I believe one of you had asked about them?) but here is the photographer's blog.
http://eucharistia.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/graham-emily/