Sunday, November 14, 2010

Potatoes

 My potatoes did fairly well this year considering how wet the conditions were. My family always looked forward to the new baby potatoes which usually were ready by mid July. We'd just boil them and season with butter and salt. In my opinion, potatoes don't get better than that! Too bad you couldn't keep them that size all season. :) They also make delicious potato salad which I enjoyed making a few times this summer.

 Not having very dependable storage/cellar this year I was trying to decide how I wanted to preserve the remainder of my potatoes for winter.  I ended up making Twice Baked Potatoes, fries, and hashbrowns.
I saved the med-large potatoes for fries and the small ones for hashbrowns.


I mixed flour, paprika, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and salt in a zip lock bag and then coated the fries before cooking them in olive oil. Some batches I omitted the flour and just sprinkled the seasonings on top of the potatoes while they were cooking in the frying pan.


I cooked them until just about done and then placed them on a cookie rack that was set inside a cookie sheet so any excess oil could drip off. I stuck the whole tray in the freezer and after they were hard removed them from the rack and placed them in a ziplock bag to freeze.


Hashbrowns

I cook them in olive oil and sprinkle salt over top a few times.


I spread a paper towel over the cookie rack to absorb any excess oil and also keep the hashbrowns from falling through. I let them cool like this on the counter, put them right into a zip lock bag, and then into the freezer. To cook I heat them up in the frying pan with a little bit of butter and then add rosemary and garlic powder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry! =D
There is nothing better than buttered, lightly salted and peppered potatoes. oh and potato salad is sooo good! :) I'm a potato type of gal; it's the ultimate comfort food if you can't have dessert of some type.

Anonymous said...

Very tasty! I think baby potatoes are the best! And potato salad is my favorite way to eat them. ;)

Naomi T. said...

Oh my goodness! That makes me feel hunger. *Serious* hunger. :D I know they taste extraordinary because your cooking always does.

Glad your potatoes did fairly well. The weather this year wasn't real conducive to growing them... so it's a real blessing that yours turned out so well. :)

I love baby potatoes. :)